Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Best Gluten free Fig Newton Type cookies

So I've been looking for months for the best gluten free fig newtons...I even tried Orgran's Wild Raspberry flavored cookies...very very bad! I've seen a few recipes for gluten free fig newtons...and just haven't had the chance to make them until TODAY! Yes it was snowing outside and instead of me going out to get a cappuccino like I really wanted...I just love the frothed milk...I need to get a frother asap so anyways I made Fig newtons with the Turkish Figs I had gotten from Nutsonline. Here's the recipe (pictures to follow):

Ingredients:

  • 2 large eggs
  • 2/3 cup Agave
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon juice
  • 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour mix (with xanthan or guar gum in the mix) I used Coconut flour for half and Jules Gluten free for the other half
  • 10 tablespoons melted, Earth Balance
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar to dip glass in to press cookies
  • Turkish Figs chopped up (make sure to take out stems)

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375F / 190C

Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper, silicone pads or lightly grease

Combine eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat on high until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla, lemon juice and salt and beat to combine. Gradually add gluten-free flour and beat just until combined. Slowly drizzle melted earth balance into the mixture and beat until combined.

Drop dough by heaping rounded teaspoons on prepared baking sheets, leaving about 11/2-inch space between cookies. Dip a small drinking glass in the extra sugar and gently press down on each cookie. Making sure each cookie is flattened put the figs in the middle and put another cookie on-top. Pinch them together and va-la!

Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown and crisp. Cool.

Makes about 20 Fig Newton Gluten free cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment